Thursday, July 31, 2008

Why DO You Read?

The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who'll give me book I ain't read.
Abraham Lincoln

Okay, the big question I am asked is-how can you read so much? Easy, I love it. What else can you do that is so easy? Why do I read? Here are some of the reasons:

1) Relaxation-I sit back, grab a book and I find myself going ”ahhhh” as I lose myself in the pages of a book.

2) Increases my vocabulary- yes, I have a dictionary nearby when I read. I never know when I am going to come across a word that I don’t know, or understand the usage of it.

3) Never get bored-how can I be bored when I can pick up a book up to read?

4) Good for conversation-When I find I am at a loss for words, I ask “have you read any good books lately?” then we go on for hours.

5) Easily Portable-I can take my choice of entertainment wherever I go. Always handy for those waits in the doctor’s office, dentists, sitting at the beach, hair dressers, pedicures-I take a book everywhere.

6) Makes me think-anything that makes anyone think is a wonderful thing.

7) Education-I can’t count how many times I have finished a book and said wow-I didn’t know that!

8) Patience- best way to learn patience is to read a book. Books that catch my interest will keep me turning the pages until the end. I have been known to stay up until the wee hours of the morning to finish a book, patience.

9) Knowledge & Adventure-I go wherever the book takes me-fantasy, science fiction, history, romance, and humor.

10) Pleasure-the most important reason I read, it gives me pleasure. I anticipate the book I am going to sit down to read with pleasure.

While reading may seem to be solitary, believe me it’s not. One of the greatest pleasures of reading is you share your enjoyment with other people.

So-why do you read?
Reading is a vacation for the mind, can you think of a easier one to take? And remember:


No comments: