Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Defector


The Defector
by Daniel Silva


"Vengeance is mine, and I will repay"
Tolstoy


Oh yeah, I ended 2009 reading The Defector....and what a way to end the year. For those who don't know, Daniel Silva is one of my all time favorite authors. Right from his first book, The Unlikely Spy, which is on my all time favorite top ten list, he has never disappointed me.


Silva's Gabriel Allon series, which began with The Kill Artist, is one I highly recommend to everyone. The Defector is an continuation of Moscow Rules, which I reviewed here March 30, 2009. Seems that Grigori Bulganov, who saved Allon's life and defected in Moscow Rules, has gone missing and the thought is he re-defected back to Russia. Allon isn't buying it, and he sets out to keep his promise to Bulgunov--not to let him end up in an unmarked grave, or any grave if he can help it. Allon gets his team together to head once again go head to head with Ivan Kharkov, who wants Allon dead for events that happened in Moscow Rules. Kharkov also wants vengeance on Allon and this leads him to do something very stupid....but it does make Allon have to go back to Russia. Kharkov should be careful what he wished for because as Tolstoy said...I will repay.


Another page-turning adventure with Allon. There is a point in Silva's books where you get to the "I am going to finish the book no matter what!" point...that's why I finished this New Year's Eve just before midnight...which was a great way to end the year.


I get the feeling Allon will be taking a much needed rest from saving the world for awhile; I just hope it isn't too long because I will miss him and his cohorts. I take solace that Silva has such great secondary characters, he could flesh any of them out and have them have their own adventures...with Allon being a secondary figure. If you haven't read Silva yet, how come? I recommend this series to everyone who enjoys good thrillers/espionage/international spying....Begin with Allon's introduction in the Kill Artist, this is one series you will be glad to get hooked on!

Happy 2010 and always, Happy Reading!!

2 comments:

le0pard13 said...

I've alway heard good things about the Gabriel Allon series. I guess this means I got to start that first one that been on the TBR stack for some time. Thanks, Bev.

Bev said...

Ah le0pard 13! You are in for a treat...you will fly through them. When you get to the Confessor, let me know when you're done, we will compare to a similar book. Enjoy and thanks for stopping by!